Yesterday, my other half and I worked together (along with help from some of his family) to put together a dinner party. Well, it was really an afternoon of eating, drinking and being merry (what else at Christmas time!).
I’d like to share the recipes we used, along with pictures of this cooking event! 🙂
- 12 medium mushrooms
- 6 oz clams (drained & finely minced, sav
- 1/4 cup of clam juice for stuffing)
- 1 green onion, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp finely grated Romano
- 2 tbsp finely grated Mozzarella (for stuffing)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup finely grated Mozzarella (for garnish)
- 1 fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a small baking dish with cooking oil.
- Wash and remove stems from mushrooms and pat dry.
- Combine clams, green onions, minced garlic, garlic salt, butter and oregano in a bowl and mix well.
- Add Italian bread crumbs, egg and clam juice mixing all the ingredients together well.
- Combine the Parmesan, Romano, and Mozzarella cheeses and add to the stuffing, mixing well.
- 8-12 mushrooms depending on the size of mushroom caps).
- Place the stuffed mushrooms in the baking dish, and drizzle 1/4 cup melted butter over the top of the mushrooms.
- Cover and bake in oven for about 35-40 minutes.
- Remove cover; sprinkle the 1/4 cup freshly grated Mozzarella cheese on top. Bake just until the cheese melts slightly.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, and serve hot!
Check out the original recipe at cookpad.
Crab Meat Au Gratin
- ½ stick butter
- 3 tsp flour
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- 5 oz. can of evaporated milk
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- ¾ cup Swiss cheese, shredded (reserve 3 T for topping)
- 1 slice American cheese
- 8 oz. of white crab meat
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
- dash of paprika
- Turn oven broiler on
- In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, add the flour and stir until combined
- Add the onion and celery to the roux and cook on low-medium heat until the vegetables are tender
- Stir in the evaporated milk and egg yolk, keep stirring until fully blended
- Add the Swiss cheese, American cheese, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and stir continuously until the cheese has melted
- Gently stir in the crab meat and cook on low heat for 5 minutes
- Scoop the mixture into a small oven safe baking dish and top with shredded Swiss cheese, green onion and paprika
- Place the baking dish onto a cookie sheet and place under broiler for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and started to brown
- Remove from oven and serve warm with crackers
Check out the original recipe at Amy In The Kitchen.
Carbonara with Pan Seared Scallops
- Ingredients for Scallops
- 12-16 large scallops (3-4 per person)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Salt & Pepper
- Ingredients for Carbonara
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon diced – cut away ALL excess fat
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic (leave whole)
- 4 green onions
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- fresh ground pepper
- 400 grams (14 oz) pasta of your choice -I used Linguine, but most recipes use Spaghetti
- Start cooking pasta in large stainless steel pot.
- In small bowl mix together cream, egg yolks and ¾ of cheese.
- In large skillet cook bacon until crisp, add shallots and ½ green onions.
- Smash down garlic clove a bit, add to bacon. (remove prior to adding pasta)
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain well, then add to skillet of bacon.
- Toss well, then transfer to large bowl.
- Add cream mixture to pasta and combined well. Make sure pasta is still hot in order to cook the eggs and melt the cheese.
- Arrange pasta on plate, top with seared scallops, add some fresh ground pepper, grated Parmesan, and green onions.
Perfect Pan Seared Scallops
- Blot scallops with paper towel to remove any water. Salt and pepper.
- Heat large non-stick frying pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Make sure frying pan is hot before adding scallops but not smoking.
- Add scallops leaving plenty of space between. Overcrowding the pan will drop the pan temperature and cause scallops to steam rather than sear. (may have to do in batches)
- Sear for about 2-4 minutes or when bottom is a nice golden brown. Don’t move them around in the pan or you will prevent them from forming that nice brown crust. After a couple of minutes have peek under to see if golden brown.
- Turn to sear other side. (about 1-3 more minutes)
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to pan now.
- Spoon the melted butter over the scallops as the other side finishes cooking.
- Transfer to paper towel covered plate.
- Keep warm in oven, if making in batches.
Check out the original recipe at Art and the Kitchen.
Chinese Egg Cake Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Caramel Sauce
Chinese Egg Cake
- 2 middle size eggs
- 60g cake flour
- 40g castor sugar
- 5g oil (olive oil or other vegetable oil )
- warm water
- Preheat the oven to 180 C around 350F.
- Prepare a larger container and add half full warm water, then place your mixing bowl on the warm water. Add eggs and castor sugar. Whip at medium speed until light and fluffy. And then use low speed to remove some large bubbles.
- Shift flour in. Then use a spatula to combine well. And lastly add oil and well combined too.
- Prepare a mini 12 paper lined muffin tin mold and pour the batter in.
- Bake at the middle rack for 15 to 20 minutes until the surface is well colored.
Check out the original recipe for Chinese Egg Cake at China Sichuan Food.
Vanilla Bean Caramel Sauce
1 cup sugar
1¼ cups heavy cream
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Spread the sugar in a layer over the bottom of a large saucepan. Place over medium-low heat, and watch carefully. When the sugar begins to liquefy around the edges, use a heatproof spoon to gently stir it towards the center. Continue stirring gently until all the sugar is melted.
- Once the caramel reaches a deep amber color, immediately remove the sauce pan from the heat.
- Measure out the heavy cream into a bowl and scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add to the bowl with the cream in it. Microwave for about 30 seconds to warm up (this is to try and keep it from seizing up the caramel when you add it).
- Carefully whisk into the caramel half of the heavy cream mixture. The mixture will steam and bubble continuously. Stir until the cream is well incorporated, then whisk in the remaining cream. If the caramel seizes and gets hard, stir over low heat until the hard parts melt and combine with the liquid. Stir in the salt and the vanilla.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat on low heat in a saucepan if desired.
Check out the original recipe for Vanilla Bean Caramel Sauce at Life and Kitchen.
That’s A Wrap!
Hopefully you enjoyed this Christmas Dinner Party Ensemble! 🙂 Have you ever put together a dinner party?