Two weeks ago was my other half’s birthday. His love of coffee, espresso and all things caffeine inspired me to search for an ice cream cake recipe last summer for his last birthday. The cake was such a hit he asked for it again this year.
Of course, after making something once, you typically find some adjustments that work better for you!
Vanilla Sponge Cake…
- Butter & Flour for the pans
- 0.5 c. Flour
- 0.5 c. Cornstarch
- 4 Separated Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 0.75 c. Sugar
- 1 c. Espresso, freshly brewed
- 0.25 c. Espresso, finely ground
- 2 pints Espresso/Coffee Ice Cream
- 2 pints Caramel Cone Vanilla Ice Cream
Vanilla Sponge Cake…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour pan – set aside.
- Mix together flour and cornstarch.
- In different bowl, use electric mixer to beat egg yolks, vanilla, and 0.5 cup sugar on high speed until thick and pale (5 minutes, approximately). Move the egg-yolk mixture to larger bowl.
- Wash and dry the mixer bowl and the whisk attachment.
- Place egg whites in mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until whites hold soft peaks, about 1.5 minutes. With mixer running, slowly add the remaining 0.25 cups of sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy (approximately 1 minute).
- Fold the egg-white mixture into the egg-yolk mixture. In three additions, fold the reserved flour mixture into this new mixture. Transfer the batter to prepared pan, and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted into middle comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool.Ice Cream Cake…
** DO THIS QUICKLY AND IN A COLD LOCATION **
- When the cake has cooled to room temperature, cut it in half.
- I used small Tupperware for each small cake to allow it to be better stored, less mess and just overall ease of use!
- Put the bottom piece of the sponge cake in the Tupperware or on a plate. Pour half of the espresso in the bottom piece.
- I use a mixer to mix up each layer of the ice cream for an easier spreading experience. Spread on the layer of coffee or espresso ice cream. Sprinkle espresso grounds on top of that layer of ice cream.
- Put the top layer of sponge cake on top. Pour the remainder of the espresso on this layer and allow to soak in.
- Add the caramel cone ice cream and sprinkle a few more espresso grounds on top.
For clarification, the layering should be: Sponge Cake – Espresso – Ice Cream – Grounds – Sponge Cake – Espresso – Ice Cream – Grounds
- Allow to freeze up, cut and serve!